    SubjectRe: Controversy over dynamic linking -- how to end the panic
    On Thursday 21 June 2001 14:46, Timur Tabi wrote:

    > 1. License the Linux kernel under a different license that is effectively
    > the GPL but with additional text that clarifies the binary module issue.
    > Unfortunately, this license cannot be called the GPL. Politically, this
    > would probably be a bad idea.

    I thought this was what the LGPL was for?

    Unfortunately, it wouldn't be easy to switch from GPL to LGPL for the LInux
    kernel precisely BECAUSE Linus is not the sole copyright holder.

    (Note: Richard Stallman insisted anyone who contributed a patch of any size
    to GNU sign a piece of paper handing their copyright over to the FSF.
    Unfortunately, this created so much friction around getting patches in that
    it was a significant factor to GNU stalling and forking to produce Linux.)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:55    [W:0.029 / U:9.504 seconds]