    SubjectRe: Is it useful to support user level drivers
    Thanks folks, I got some great comments, pointers a
    list of problems which I need to take care of.
    I promise that when I try and implement user
    level interrupts - it won't be a hack, all problems
    will be taken care of based on good programming

    I will look into the steps provided by people.
    Yes! we need to worry about shared interrupts, I will
    draw out a more detailed plan of problems and

    Later ...

    --- "Dmitry A. Fedorov" <>
    > interrupts ?
    > > >
    > > > It is impossible, see my another message.
    > >
    > > Which IMHO makes the concept pretty much useless.
    > > Interrupt sharing is pretty much the norm today.
    > And there is no evidence for
    > > this to change in the near future. Rather the
    > opposite seems to happen in
    > > fact.
    > >
    > > Which devices were you thinking of, that need a
    > hardware IRQ and no kernel
    > > driver ?
    > An ISA cards, mostly for data acquisition - edge
    > triggered interrupts,
    > no ack required immediately from interrupt handler.
    > Rest of hardware
    > handling can be deferred to user space.
    > IRQ sharing is possible there in spite of some
    > hardware hacking.
    > Yes, it is very limited range of hardware today but
    > it exists
    > and /dev/irq kernel module provide one of generic
    > mechanisms for user
    > space driver implementation.

    Do You Yahoo!?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:17    [W:0.051 / U:33.064 seconds]