    SubjectRe: [OT] Threads, inelegance, and Java

    On 20-Jun-2001 Russell Leighton wrote:
    > Ben Greear wrote:
    > <snip>
    >
    >> System-design and elegance are easy to get
    >> in Java, and in fact are independent of language. Good c code will beat
    >> Java in most cases, performance wise, but lately the difference has become
    >> small enough not to matter for most applications.
    >
    > Rather a sweeping statement.
    >
    > I don't buy it...depends what you mean by "most applications".
    > I bet 90% of the "most" would be better served by
    > being written in Visual Basic (or Perl, or Python, or PHP pick your poison
    > for a very high level language)...and if you really care about
    > resource usage and/or performance you don't
    > want a very high high level language and Java does not leap to mind
    > as part of the set of credible alternatives.
    >
    > I had a company that gaves us a tech briefing of their system.
    > They dumped mega-bucks into multiple Sun E10000s they needed to run their
    > Java apps...
    > the were proud of their scalable design, just add more hardware!
    > True, the high level design was fine and trivially scalable w/more hw BUT
    > what a waste, if their app was done in C they could have
    > had it run faster and it would have cost them significantly less (in the
    > millions of $$).

    1) HW is cheaper than software engineers time

    2) to find Java developers is easier than to find C developers

    3) the ETA of the same project developed in Java is shorter than the same
    project done in C

    This depend heavily on the type of project but these are points that every
    software Co. has to face when starting a new project.

    - Davide

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:55    [W:0.030 / U:0.816 seconds]