    SubjectRe: [OT] Threads, inelegance, and Java
    Rob Landley wrote:

    > So how exactly DOES MS expect to stop the Linux folks from reverse
    > engineering .NET apps? Patents? Giving up on the client side and moving to
    > an ASP business model (toe to toe with AOL)? Constant gratuitous
    > compatability changes to try to prevent all those nasty GPL viruses from
    > evolving an immunity to their new proprietary drug? (Without, of course,
    > being obvious enough to trigger a third antitrust trial after the 1995 and
    > 1998 ones...)

    They probably *want* people to port the .NET VM to Linux. You should
    have seen their diagrams... Lots of pretty boxes saying how the various
    parts of .NET work and a small greyed out area at the bottom saying
    'Win32'. They kept saying 'Cross platform' and 'Open standards' (the
    VM* has been submitted to ECMA apparently)....

    Of course when that happens everyone will continue using MS software,
    but on top of their chosen OS. MS make more $$$ (we keep buying
    Exchange, Office, etc. but running them on Linux) and they are happy.
    MS Exchange runs on AS400/Solaris/etc., so it becomes an 'Enterprise'
    solution that PHBs throughout the world inflict on us, and MS make even
    *more* $$$.

    * aka. 'Common Language Runtime'
    "Two weeks before due date, the programmers work 22 hour days
    cobbling an application from... (apparently) one programmer
    bashing his face into the keyboard." -- Dilbert

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:55    [W:0.032 / U:7.272 seconds]