    SubjectRe: PID of init != 1 when initrd with pivot_root
    > > Well, I upgraded and found pivot_root and the problem is that how do I make init
    > > run with PID 1. My linuxrc gets PID 7.
    > >
    > > 1 ? 00:03:05 swapper
    > > 2 ? 00:00:00 keventd
    > > 3 ? 00:00:00 kswapd
    > > 4 ? 00:00:00 kreclaimd
    > > 5 ? 00:00:00 bdflush
    > > 6 ? 00:00:00 kupdated
    > > 7 ? 00:00:00 linuxrc
    > >
    > > init doesn't like running with any other PID than 1. I could probably revert to
    > > the not so old way of doing things and exit linuxrc and let the kernel change
    > > root. But then I wouldn't be able to mount root over samba :-(. ( not that I
    > > have any samba shares :-)
    >
    > This is this way for backwards bug compatibility. Use the following
    > command line options to make it behave properly:
    >
    > ram=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc

    That's what I did, almost. I think you meant root=/dev/rd/0 init=/linuxrc ( with
    devfs) though init parameter is made redundant by the new "root change
    mechanism" pivot_root.

    But the problem still remains. How do I make my /sbin/init run with PID 1 using
    initial ramdisk under the new root change mechanism? I don't want to use the old
    change_root mechanism since the Documentation/initrd.txt says:

    Obsolete root change mechanism

    The following mechanism was used before the introduction of pivot_root.
    Current kernels still support it, but you should _not_ rely on its
    continued availability.
    This old, deprecated mechanism is commonly called "change_root", while
    the new, supported mechanism is called "pivot_root".

    --
    Ivan Vadovic