    SubjectRe: Alan Cox quote?
    On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 08:01:00PM +0200, Kai Henningsen wrote:
    > The funny thing here, Larry, is that to most people (who aren't OS gurus),
    > Linux' clone or Plan 9's rfork *are* threads.
    >
    > I certainly agree that you don't necessarily need two different kernel-
    > level kinds of things, but really, most of the time when people talk about
    > threads

    Great, then we are in violent agreement on the single abstraction.
    On the second part, I stand by my previous statements that threads or
    processes should be used sparingly.

    All I'm doing is trying to counter all the "threads are great" hype.
    This is a pretty intelligent pile of people but there are also a fair
    number of people who read this list looking for nuggets of information.
    If they walk away going "(a) Linux has a cool threading model, and
    (b) I should only use threads if I absolutely have to do so and even
    then if there are more than there are CPUs I'm probably making a
    mistake", if they get that message, that's a good thing, IMHO.
    --
    ---