    SubjectRe: Client receives TCP packets but does not ACK
    On Sun, Jun 17, 2001 at 05:13:43PM -0400, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:
    > > Is there any logical reason why if, given fd is a connected, AF_INET,
    > > SOCK_STREAM socket, and one does a write(fd, buffer, len); close(fd);
    > > to the peer, over a rather slow network (read modem, satelite link, etc),
    > > the data gets lost (the remote receives the disconnect before the last
    > > packet). According to socket(7), even if SO_LINGER is not set, the data
    > > is flushed in the background.
    > >
    > > Is it Linux or TCP specific? Or some obvious techincal detail I'm missing?
    >
    > The UNIX API (Linux, BSD, Solaris, OSF/1...) requires that you
    > put that write() call in a loop, because you can get partial
    > writes. Repeat until done... the OS might do 1 byte at a time.

    Not so true. The write is completed successfuly, ie.
    size == write(fd, buf, size); so the data actually gets to the kernel's
    network buffer, only the background polling is not done properly, in the
    way I see things.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:55    [W:0.024 / U:29.784 seconds]