    SubjectRe: Newbie idiotic questions.

    On Sun, 17 Jun 2001, Daniel Phillips wrote:

    > typeof? It's rather popular in the kernel already. Besides, who is going to

    Really? 5 instances in PPC arch-specific code, 1 (absolutely gratitious)
    in drivers/mtd, 2 - in m68k (also useless), 4 - in drivers/video, 2 -
    in AFFS and 1 - in netfilter.

    I wouldn't call it "rather popular".

    > compile this with anything other than gcc?

    > I don't see your point about greppability.

    You are making the types it is applied to harder to deal with wrt. global
    search.

    But the real issue here is that preprocessor is not a way to get
    polymorphism. And that would be the only context where typeof might
    have any use. Trying to turn C into the things it isn't is always a bad
    idea - had been proven many times. starting at least with Bourne shel
    (check the v7 sh source if you don't know what I'm refering to).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:55    [W:0.020 / U:90.596 seconds]