SubjectRe: Newbie idiotic questions.

On Sun, 17 Jun 2001, Daniel Phillips wrote:

> typeof? It's rather popular in the kernel already. Besides, who is going to

Really? 5 instances in PPC arch-specific code, 1 (absolutely gratitious)
in drivers/mtd, 2 - in m68k (also useless), 4 - in drivers/video, 2 -
in AFFS and 1 - in netfilter.

I wouldn't call it "rather popular".

> compile this with anything other than gcc?

> I don't see your point about greppability.

You are making the types it is applied to harder to deal with wrt. global

But the real issue here is that preprocessor is not a way to get
polymorphism. And that would be the only context where typeof might
have any use. Trying to turn C into the things it isn't is always a bad
idea - had been proven many times. starting at least with Bourne shel
(check the v7 sh source if you don't know what I'm refering to).