    SubjectRe: obsolete code must die
    On Thu, 14 Jun 2001, Alan Cox wrote:

    > > Would it make sense to create some sort of 'make config' script that
    > > determines what you want in your kernel and then downloads only those
    > > components? After all, with the constant release of new hardware, isn't a
    > > 50MB kernel release not too far away? 100MB?
    > This should be a FAQ entry.
    > For folks doing kernel development a split tree is a nightmare to
    > manage so we dont bother. Nothing stops a third party splitting and
    > maintaining the tools to download just the needed bits for those who
    > want to do it that way

    I vaguely remember a distro shipping a kernel source tree without the
    non-i386 arch directories. Looked like a good idea at first - saved a fair
    chunk of disk space, and didn't break anything. Then you try applying a
    patch, and get a truckload of errors... Easier just to keep the whole
    thing together, IMO.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:55    [W:0.020 / U:74.532 seconds]