    SubjectAPM, ACPI, and Wake on LAN - the bane of my existance
    I have an athlon system with a iwill kk266 motherboard (via kt133A).  I
    have a linksys 10/100 PCI ethernet card with wake on lan capabilities.
    Anyway, when I shut the PC down it turns off, but refuses to stay off.
    Within a minute or two, it turns itself on again. If i run over and
    turn it off by hitting the power putton, it turns off, but then comes
    back on again at a later somewaht arbitrary time (1 minute to several
    hours later). I originally got the WOL card so I could remotely boot my
    PC, but at this point it has turned out to be more trouble than it's
    worth. I tried to disable WOL inthe BIOS, but that didn't change
    anything. So I removed the three pin cross connect that connects the
    card to the WOL header on the motherboard. That fixed it for a few
    days, but now it's doing it again, even without the cable installed.
    the only fix is to unplug the ethernet cable when I turn it off.

    I suspect the problem has something to do with WOL vs. resume on LAN.
    the system should only turn on when it recieves a magic packet, but it
    seems that any packet may cause it to boot (or resume, but since it is
    in the "off" state, boot). I've only been using APM, but perhaps acpi
    is required for this to work properly. As far as why it does this when
    the 3 pin WOL connector was not used, I'm not sure, maybe something to
    do with PCI 2.2.

    Any thoughts? This is driving me nuts.

    Please CC: me in your reply.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:55    [W:0.040 / U:5.576 seconds]