    SubjectRe: unregistered changes to the user<->kernel API

    On Thu, 14 Jun 2001, Richard Henderson wrote:

    > Yes, I saw those. What is the effect of O_NOFOLLOW? To not
    > follow symbolic links when opening the file. If you open a
    > regular file, in effect nothing happens. Moreover, if these
    > opens were not finding files now, the system wouldn't work.
    >
    > So: the effect, I suppose, is (1) disabling some security
    > within glibc, and (2) making these accesses slower since they
    > will be considered O_DIRECT after the change.
    >
    > Which doesn't seem that life-threatening to me.

    O_NOFOLLOW is used to deal with symlink attacks. Breaking it means
    that for quite a few binaries you are opening security holes. And
    since it's a flagday change, you'll get the situation when no version
    will work for all kernels. Bad idea, IMO.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:55    [W:0.021 / U:60.304 seconds]