    SubjectRe: Gigabit Intel NIC? - Intel Gigabit Ethernet Pro/1000T
    On Wed, 13 Jun 2001, Ralf Baechle wrote:

    > On Wed, Jun 13, 2001 at 03:25:22AM -0700, Ion Badulescu wrote:
    > > Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 03:25:22 -0700
    > > From: Ion Badulescu <ionut@moisil.cs.columbia.edu>
    > > To: Riley Williams <rhw@MemAlpha.CX>
    > > Cc: Shawn Starr <spstarr@sh0n.net>, <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>,
    > > Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>
    > > Subject: Re: Gigabit Intel NIC? - Intel Gigabit Ethernet Pro/1000T
    > >
    > > On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 18:20:58 +0100 (BST), Riley Williams <rhw@memalpha.cx> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Shawn, I'd suggest you tell the said sales guy that IF he can get you
    > > > the FULL specs TOGETHER WITH permission to freely distribute them, AND
    > >
    > > Permission to freely distribute the specs isn't necessary, although it
    > > is nice indeed. All that's needed is permission to GPL the driver sources
    > > written using knowledge from said specs.
    >
    > Which would still be a problem. You then have a GPL'ed driver which still
    > cannot be sanely modified in the way the GPL would like to guarantee.

    That isn't a problem - the GPL doesn't attempt to guarantee users the
    INFORMATION needed to make sane changes, just that they have the facility
    to do so. Just as the kernel doesn't come with a copy of the POSIX specs,
    the RFCs, etc. - some of the standards the kernel implements aren't
    available publicly, but that doesn't stop the kernel being freely
    modifiable!

    James.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:55    [W:0.020 / U:1.940 seconds]