SubjectRe: threading question
On Tue, Jun 12, 2001 at 01:07:11PM -0600, ognen@gene.pbi.nrc.ca wrote:
> due to the nature of the problem (a pairwise mutual alignment of n
> sequences results in mx. n^2 alignments which can each be done in a
> separate thread), I need to create and destroy the threads frequently.
>
> I am not really comfortable with 1.4 - 1.5 speedups since the solution was
> intended as a Linux one primarily and it just happenned that it works (and
> now even better) on Solaris/SGI/OSF...

Nor would I.

What I do in my numerics code to avoid this problem, is to create all the
threads (as many as there are CPUs) on program startup and have then wait
(block) for a condition. As soon as there's something to to, variables for
the thread are setup (protected by a mutex) and the thread gets signalled
(cond_signal).
If you're interested in the code, tell me.

This is supposed to be much faster than thread creation.

Regards,
--
Kurt Garloff <garloff@suse.de> Eindhoven, NL
GPG key: See mail header, key servers Linux kernel development

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:55    [W:0.314 / U:0.120 seconds]