    SubjectRe: obsolete code must die
    In list.kernel, you wrote:
    >Anyone concerned about the current size of the kernel source code? I am, and

    No. Since you are up to date with the latest in everything, I cannot
    see why you would be concerned about a few megabytes in your gigabyte

    >i386, i486
    >The Pentium processor has been around since 1995. Support for these older

    No. Both of my cheap on-site systems for occasional access are 486s.
    Why would I spend money for a system that is hardly ever used?

    >ISA bus, MCA bus, EISA bus
    >PCI is the defacto standard. Get rid of CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ISAPNP,

    No. There are still plenty of unique ISA cards around.

    >MFM/RLL/XT/ESDI hard drive support
    >Does anyone still *have* an RLL drive that works? At the very least get rid

    OK, I haven't seen one of these for nearly 10 years.

    >parallel/serial/game ports
    >More controversial to remove this, since they are *still* in pretty wide
    >use -- but USB and IEEE 1394 are the way to go. No ifs ands or buts.

    Send me the funds to replace my laser printers please.

    >Who needs it anymore. I love ELF.

    OK, everything that I had in a.out was converted within a year of
    ELF's introduction.

    >I really think doing a clean up is worthwhile. Maybe while looking for stuff

    You left out all the old non-IDE CDROM drives.

    <PS. thanks for the testing of my new archive>

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:55    [W:0.278 / U:42.352 seconds]