SubjectRe: obsolete code must die
In list.kernel, you wrote:

>Anyone concerned about the current size of the kernel source code? I am, and

No. Since you are up to date with the latest in everything, I cannot
see why you would be concerned about a few megabytes in your gigabyte
drives.

>i386, i486
>The Pentium processor has been around since 1995. Support for these older

No. Both of my cheap on-site systems for occasional access are 486s.
Why would I spend money for a system that is hardly ever used?

>ISA bus, MCA bus, EISA bus
>PCI is the defacto standard. Get rid of CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ISAPNP,
>CONFIG_ISAPNP, etc

No. There are still plenty of unique ISA cards around.

>MFM/RLL/XT/ESDI hard drive support
>Does anyone still *have* an RLL drive that works? At the very least get rid

OK, I haven't seen one of these for nearly 10 years.

>parallel/serial/game ports
>More controversial to remove this, since they are *still* in pretty wide
>use -- but USB and IEEE 1394 are the way to go. No ifs ands or buts.

Send me the funds to replace my laser printers please.

>a.out
>Who needs it anymore. I love ELF.

OK, everything that I had in a.out was converted within a year of
ELF's introduction.

>I really think doing a clean up is worthwhile. Maybe while looking for stuff

You left out all the old non-IDE CDROM drives.

<PS. thanks for the testing of my new archive>

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans