    SubjectRe: threading question
    On Tue, Jun 12, 2001 at 01:07:11PM -0600, ognen@gene.pbi.nrc.ca wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > due to the nature of the problem (a pairwise mutual alignment of n
    > sequences results in mx. n^2 alignments which can each be done in a
    > separate thread), I need to create and destroy the threads frequently.
    >
    > I am not really comfortable with 1.4 - 1.5 speedups since the solution was
    > intended as a Linux one primarily and it just happenned that it works (and
    > now even better) on Solaris/SGI/OSF...

    If you havily create threads under load you're rather srewed. If you want
    to stay with the (IMHO rather suboptimal) posix threads API you might want
    to take a look at the stuff IBM has produced:

    http://oss.software.ibm.com/developerworks/projects/pthreads/

    Otherwise a simple wrapper for clone might be a _lot_ faster, but has it's
    own disadvantages: no ready-to-use lcoking primitives, no cross-platform
    support (ok, it should be portable to the FreeBSD rfork easily).

    Christoph