    SubjectRe: threading question
    In article <> you wrote:
    > On dual-CPU machines the speedups are as follows: my version
    > is 1.88 faster than the sequential one on IRIX, 1.81 times on Solaris,
    > 1.8 times on OSF/1, 1.43 times on Linux 2.2.x and 1.52 times on Linux 2.4
    > kernel. Why are the numbers on Linux machines so much lower?

    Does your measurement include the time needed to actually create the
    threads or do you even frequently create and destroy threads?

    The code for creating threads is _horribly_ slow in Linuxthreads due
    to the way it is implemented.

    > It is the
    > same multi-threaded code, I am not using any tricks, the code basically
    > uses PTHREAD_CREATE_DETACHED and PTHREAD_SCOPE_SYSTEM and the thread stack
    > size is set to 8K (but the numbers are the same with larger/smaller stack
    > sizes).
    > Is there anything I am missing? Is this to be expected due to Linux way of
    > handling threads (clone call)? I am just trying to explain the numbers and
    > nothing else comes to mind....

    Linuxthreads is a rather bad pthreads implementation performance-wise,
    mostly due to the rather different linux-native threading model.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:17    [W:0.033 / U:87.712 seconds]