    SubjectRe: 3C905b partial lockup in 2.4.5-pre5 and up to 2.4.6-pre1
    Andrew Morton wrote:

    > Jeff Garzik wrote:

    > > > Well, we could make the netif_carrier_*() implementation do the
    > > > "interrupt->process context" trick.
    > > >
    > > > Jamal can feel free to post what he has.
    > >
    > > If we have any problems with context we can always use schedule_task()
    >
    > Yep. With dev_hold() and dev_put() to avoid module removal
    > races. One would also have to be sure that the right things
    > happen if the interface is downed between the interrupt and
    > execution of the schedule_task() callback.

    Why not call MOD_INC_USE_COUNT and MOD_DEC_USE_COUNT? It makes it much
    more obvious you are closing a race related to modules, and it goes away
    when the module is built into the kernel.

    (as a tangent, I have run into cases where it would be nice to always
    have a module ref count, whether or not you were built into the kernel.
    this would be ok with me...)

    --
    Jeff Garzik | Andre the Giant has a posse.
    Building 1024 |