    SubjectRe: SCSI Tape corruption - update
    On Mon, 7 May 2001, Lorenzo Marcantonio wrote:
    > On Mon, 7 May 2001, Rob Turk wrote:
    > > Have you ruled out hardware failures? There's been a few isolated reports
    > That tape drive (Sony SDT-9000, less than 2 years of service) works
    > perfectly on Windows NT (were it was before) and even on Linux 2.2
    > Also the cartridge was brand new.

    In the mean time I down/upgraded to 2.2.17 on my PPC box (CHRP LongTrail,
    Sym53c875, HP C5136A DDS1) and I can confirm that the problem does not happen
    under 2.2.17 neither.

    My experiences:
    - reading works fine, writing doesn't
    - 2.2.x works fine, 2.4.x doesn't (at least since 2.4.0-test1-ac10)
    - hardware compression doesn't matter
    - I have a sym53c875, Lorenzo has an Adaptec, so most likely it's not a
    SCSI hardware driver bug
    - I have a PPC, Lorenzo doesn't, so it's not CPU-specific
    - corruption is always a block of 32 bytes being replaced by 32 bytes from
    the previous tape block (depending on block size!) (approx. 6 errors per
    256 MB)

    Lorenzo, can you please investigate the exact nature of the corruption on your
    - How many successive bytes are corrupted?
    - Where do the corrupted data come from?

    -- Linus Torvalds

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:52    [W:0.020 / U:3.572 seconds]