    SubjectRe: Wow! Is memory ever cheap!
    Larry McVoy wrote:

    > > > A) Fast has nothing to do with it, ECC runs at the same speed as non-ECC;
    > >
    > > "It" meaning BitKeeper.
    >
    > What does BitKeeper have to do with this conversation?
    >
    > s/BitKeeper/any_app_which_has_integrity_checks/
    >
    > Whether that app runs fast or not has nothing to do with ECC/non-ECC, right?
    > And while whether that app runs fast or not may have something to do with
    > other apps that you run along side of it, that's true for all apps, right?
    > So why the focus on BitKeeper? Am I missing something?

    Because your original post was "yeah, Bitkeeper is a memory hog but you
    can get really cheap non-ECC RAM so just stuff your system with crappy
    RAM and be happy." Doing so dedicates my system to running a small set
    of applications, which I am utterly uninterested in.

    -hpa

    http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/puzzle.txt