SubjectRe: Dane-Elec PhotoMate Combo
On Sat, May 05, 2001 at 05:29:54PM +0100, Andy Piper wrote:

> > For me the Dane-Elec is working and stable.
>
> You are using the Compact Flash reader part of the device, right?

Yes.

> I don't think it is working with SmartMedia.

I cannot test that part - don't think I have any SmartMedia.

> I've tried the latest
> kernel 2.4.5-pre1, which incorporates your patch to allow the device
> to be recognised. The Dane-Elec / SCM eUSB adapter can be seen in
> /proc/bus/usb/devices, but I cannot mount a SmartMedia card (which I'm
> assuming I should be able to mount on /dev/sda; mind you,

Probably sdb.

> /proc/scsi/scsi shows it only as a Compact Flash device, and doesn't
> mention SmartMedia...)
>
> This part looks good:
>
> castor kernel: Vendor: eUSB Model: Compact Flash Rev:
> castor kernel: Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI
>
> ... this bit doesn't look good ...
>
> castor kernel: Detected scsi removable disk sda at scsi1, channel 0,
> castor kernel: sda : READ CAPACITY failed.
>
> I've also tried another hack I found in a news posting, advising that
> CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_SDDR09 support should be added to the Config.in for
> /usr/src/linux/drivers/usb and enabled; it hasn't helped.

Yes. If I do that, I see:

<4> Vendor: eUSB Model: Compact Flash Rev:
<4> Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 02
<4> Vendor: SCM Micr Model: eUSB SmartMedia Rev: 0207
<4> Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 02

that is, the enabling of CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_SDDR09 turns this reader
into two devices: a CF reader and a SM reader.

Inserting sd.o yields

Detected scsi removable disk sdb at scsi2, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
Detected scsi removable disk sdc at scsi2, channel 0, id 0, lun 1

that is, the two logical units of this device turn into sdb (the CF reader)
and sdc (the SM reader). The CF reader contains a card, and reading
capacity is successful:

SCSI device sdb: 15872 512-byte hdwr sectors (8 MB)

If one makes the MODE SENSE command read the vendor page 0, it succeeds, and:

sdb: Write Protect is off

There is a single partition on sdb:

sdb1

On the other hand, sdc does not contain anything, so unsurprisingly:

sdc : READ CAPACITY failed.

> Is this a discussion I should take to the usb-devel mailing list?

Probably, yes. You might cc me, I am not subscribed to that list.

Andries - aeb@cwi.nl

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:52    [W:0.039 / U:1.240 seconds]