SubjectRe: 2.4.4 fork() problems (maybe)
Given the problems found by the fork change, would it possibly be worth
making the fork behavior a compile time option (with a big warning that
child-first behavior is known to break some software)

that way people who are running software without the bugs can gain the
performance advantage and people can then test other software to discover
what has bugs in it and then fix the software so that the change can be
made permanent in a future release.

I also ran into one additional piece of software that appears to be
stopped by the fork change. The Citrix ICA client (essentially remote
display for a multi-use win NT box) locks up a few seconds after the mouse
it moved.

David Lang