    From is complete
    It gives me great pleasure to announce that the master
    file is now complete with respect to 2.4.5. Every single one of the
    2699 configuration symbols actually used in the 2.4.5 codebase's C
    source files or Makefiles now has an entry in

    This does not, of course, mean the job of maintaining
    is done; symbols will be added and dropped in the future (there are a
    handful of new ones in ac5, all now documented), and some existing
    entries could stand to be rewritten and expanded. But we have passed
    a milestone -- maintainance will now be a matter of keeping the boat
    bailed rather than trying to ignore a hole in the side.

    Thanks to all the contributors who helped put together the over 550
    entries necessary to catch up, too many to name here. The result
    is available at:

    Though carried on the CML2 project page, it can be used with CML1 and
    is current with respect to both Linus's tree and Alan's.

    I now have two requests of Linus and Alan:

    1. Please pick up this work now. It is a really substantial improvement
    on what you have in your trees, incorporating it cannot break anything,
    and you'll help prevent unnecessary hassles due to clashing patches
    in the future.

    2. Please make a policy of rejecting patches that add new configuration
    symbols without also adding an explanatory entry --
    and please *announce* that you will do so. We can raise our standards
    now, and for the sake of having a well-documentated kernel and
    configuration system I submit that we ought to.

    Never could an increase of comfort or security be a sufficient good to be
    bought at the price of liberty.
    -- Hillaire Belloc

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:54    [W:0.024 / U:1.828 seconds]