    On Tue, 29 May 2001 19:30:06 GMT, in fa.linux.kernel you wrote:

    > said:
    >> After using the 'map_user_kiobuf', I observed the followiing:
    >> 1. 'kiobuf->maplist[0]->virtual' contains a different virtual address than
    >> the user space buffer address
    >> 2. But these two addresses are mapped as when i write something using the
    >> address 'kiobuf->maplist[0]->virtual' inside the kernel, I see the same
    >> data in the user space buffer in my application.
    >> 3. I use the 'virt_to_phys' operation to the virtual address
    >> 'kiobuf->maplist[0]->virtual' to get the physical address.
    >> 4. I use this physical address for DMA operations.
    >> Now, using this information I do a DMA from card to system memory. What I
    >> have noticed is that DMA happens somewhere else in the system memory. I am
    >> not able to execute most of the commands (ls, chmod, cat, clear etc) after
    >> my user program exits.
    >> Am I doing the steps 3 and 4 above right?
    >After calling map_user_kiobuf(), I believe you should be locking the pages
    >in memory by calling lock_kiovec(). Otherwise, nothing prevents them from
    >being paged out again.
    >Also, the pages may be in high memory and not directly accessible. You should
    >use kmap() before touching them from the kernel rather than just using
    >page->virtual, and obviously kunmap() afterwards.
    >The PCI DMA interface is more complex than simply using virt_to_phys() too,
    >if you want to deal correctly with the highmem case. I'm sure others will
    >give you the details or pointers to the documentation.

    I have a couple of user DMA drivers up and running, but in light of your
    comment, I am not so sure.

    I see the following w/map_user_kiobuf() in memory.c (2.4.4)

    * Force in an entire range of pages from the current process's user VA,
    * and pin them in physical memory.

    #define dprintk(x...)
    int map_user_kiobuf(int rw, struct kiobuf *iobuf, unsigned long va, size_t

    What is the difference between pinning and locking? I had the impression
    that locking had more to do with ownership.

    Bill Waddington
    Bainbridge Island, WA, USA

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:54    [W:0.048 / U:19.204 seconds]