    SubjectRe: [patch] 4GB I/O, cut three
    On Wed, May 30 2001, Mark Hemment wrote:
    > Hi Jens,
    >
    > I ran this (well, cut-two) on a 4-way box with 4GB of memory and a
    > modified qlogic fibre channel driver with 32disks hanging off it, without
    > any problems. The test used was SpecFS 2.0

    Cool, could you send me the qlogic diff? It's the one-liner can_dma32
    chance I'm interested in, I'm just not sure what driver you used :-)
    I'll add that to the patch then. Basically all the PCI cards should
    work, I'm just being cautious and only enabling highmem I/O to the ones
    that have been tested.

    > Peformance is definitely up - but I can't give an exact number, as the
    > run with this patch was compiled with no-omit-frame-pointer for debugging
    > any probs.

    Good

    > I did change the patch so that bounce-pages always come from the NORMAL
    > zone, hence the ZONE_DMA32 zone isn't needed. I avoided the new zone, as
    > I'm not 100% sure the VM is capable of keeping the zones it already has
    > balanced - and adding another one might break the camels back. But as the
    > test box has 4GB, it wasn't bouncing anyway.

    You are right, this is definitely something that needs checking. I
    really want this to work though. Rik, Andrea? Will the balancing handle
    the extra zone?

    --
    Jens Axboe