SubjectRe: Requirement of make oldconfig [was: Re: [kbuild-devel] Re: CML2 1.3.1, aka ...]

Hi

horst> Hell, I had to rebuild my .config files from scratch a few times already
horst> because of wild changes in the hardware on which the resulting kernels
horst> would have to run, its not _that_ big a deal to have to perhaps have to do
horst> it once each time a new stable kernel series starts or so.

Not a option. You can have to had _several_ configurations around
(here at MandrakeSoft we have normal/smp/enterprise) and we have
basically everything that can be compiled as modules compiled as
modules. Add to that that we build the alpha (normal&smp) from the
same package. We want to add more architectures to the rpm. Are you
really serious that _answering_ all the options for several kernels is
an option? I don't think so. And the actual olconfig target works
well for me (tm). I don't see the point to rewrote the configuration
language and made it _less_ powerfull for no good reason.

Later, Juan.

are different -- Larry McVoy