SubjectRe: DISCOVERED! Cause of Athlon/VIA KX133 Instability

Thanks moses -- this is the instability that I have as well.
I tried compiling on 1/2 of the k7 optimized mmx routines.
So far, running with JUST the fast_clear_page using k7 streaming (and
not
fast_copy_page), the system is still stable. I'll try adding fast_copy
_page, but I think that's where our problems lie (of course I could be
full of crap, too).

--S

Moses McKnight wrote:

> Mark Hahn wrote:
>
> >> Actually, I think there are 2 problems that have been discussed -- the
> >>disk corruption and a general instability resulting in oops'es at
> >>various points shortly after boot up.
> >>

> > I don't see this. specifically, there were scattered reports
> > of a via-ide problem a few months ago; this is the issue that's
> > gotten some press, and for which Alan has a fix. and there are reports
> > of via-smp problems at boot (which go away with noapic). I see no reports
> > of the kind of general instability you're talking about. and all the
> > via-users I've heard of have no such stability problems -
> > me included (kt133/duron).
> >
> > the only general issue is that kx133 systems seem to be difficult
> > to configure for stability. ugly things like tweaking Vio.
> > there's no implication that has anything to do with Linux, though.
>
> When I reported my problem a couple weeks back another fellow
> said he and several others on the list had the same problem,
> and as far as I can tell it is *only* with the IWILL boards.
> When I compiled with k7 optimizations I'd get all kinds of oopses
> and panics and never fully boot. They were different every time.
> When any of the lesser optimizations are used I have no problems.
> My memory is one 256MB Corsair PC150 dimm, CPU is a Thunderbird 850,
> and mobo is an IWILL KK266 (KT133A). The CPU runs between 35°C
> and 40°C.
>
> >> My memory system jas been set up very conservitavely and has been
> >>rock solid in my other board (ka7), so I doubt it's that, but I
> >>sure am happy to try a few more cominations of bios settings. Anything
> >>I should look for in particular?
> >>

> > how many dimms do you have? interleave settings? Vio jumper?
> > already checked on cooling issues? and that you're not overclocking...
>
> -

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:52    [W:0.379 / U:0.176 seconds]