    SubjectRe: Requirement of make oldconfig [was: Re: [kbuild-devel] Re: CML2 1.3.1, aka ...]

    Eric> Giacomo Catenazzi <cate@math.ethz.ch>:

    >> No. You propmt only one invalid assertion. After you this prompt
    >> you continue to validate rules and you will maybe prompt for another
    >> invalid rules. But these invalid rules are generally infrequent.

    Eric> I may be having problems with your English. I don't think I
    Eric> understand this.

    He's saying that when you find the first invalid assertion, such as
    not having CONFIG_RTC defined, when reading the .config file, you
    should prompt for a fix. Then once the input is taken, continue your
    checks, prompting for each following problem as needed.

    >> It is very unlikely to have constraint on string or on integer. But
    >> anyway, where is the problem? You simple ask the new value of this
    >> symbol.

    Eric> The problem is that you're now, in effect, telling me to invent
    Eric> a new interactive configurator with different rules than the
    Eric> normal one!

    Eric> This is a horrible swamp to wander into just to avoid making oldconfig
    Eric> users fire up vi occasionally.

    No, we're just asking you to make the CML2 parser more tolerant of old
    and possibly broken configs.

    I haven't looked at the parser in any detail, but I assume that there
    are heirarchal configuration settings. When there is a mis-match,
    where a sub-option conflicts with an upper option, how hard would it
    be to print a warning, and just reset the sub-option to an acceptable
    state?

    Going back to the original CONFIG_RTC bug report I filed, all I had to
    do was fire up vi and edit the .config file to turn on CONFIG_RTC,
    which I think is completely bogus.

    CML2 should be able to say "Hey, you need RTC turned on since you've
    got SMP on, but it's not. Should I do this for you? Yes/No"

    For trully broken .configs, maybe it makes sense to just give up and
    say "Hey! This .config is totally bogus, can I just ignore it and
    have you redo your config in a sane manner?"

    Make the computer do the work, not the user.

    John

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:52    [W:0.046 / U:0.632 seconds]