    SubjectRe: 2.4 and 2GB swap partition limit
    Andi Kleen writes:
    > On Mon, Apr 30, 2001 at 12:07:44PM -0700, David S. Miller wrote:
    > But something must have been not working with it for mmaps/shlibs
    > (not executables); at least historically.
    > At least I remember that all hell broke lose when you tried to update
    > libc by cp'ing a new one to /lib/ in the 1.2 days. cp should create a
    > new inode (it uses O_CREAT) so in theory it should be coherent by the inode
    > reference; but somehow it didn't use to work and random already running
    > programs started to segfault. This was long ago. I wonder if old
    > GNU cp used O_TRUNC instead of O_CREAT, or was there some other kernel bug
    > with mappings (hopefully long since fixed). Anybody remembers?

    No, "cp" is still not a safe way to update libc, and I doubt it ever will be.
    cp does _not_ create a new inode (unlike mv), so you are writing "garbage"
    into the currently running executables.

    NB: my open(2) says for O_CREAT "If the file does not exist it will be
    created". This is _not_ the same as O_EXCL, which will only mean that
    open(2) will fail when it tries to create a new file.

    Cheers, Andreas
    Andreas Dilger Turbolinux filesystem development

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:17    [W:0.021 / U:38.964 seconds]