SubjectRe: 2.4.4 Kernel - ASUS CUV4X-DLS Question
> I just wanted to throw in my two cents and say that there appear to be
> widespread issues with the APIC code in 2.4.x. I'm tempted to stick my
> neck out and say that it might be best to disable SMP IOAPIC by default
> until APIC can be massaged, at least for a wider variety of hardware.

I would disagree

There are five cases I am seeing

1. Serverworks total APIC hose ups.
Fix: remove OSB4 or use -ac tree

2. 440BX and similar boards losing interrupts on some drivers
Fix: use -ac

3. APIC errors notably checksum errors.
Fix: buy properly manufactured hardware

4. Hangs on boot with the CUV4XD and a couple of other boards.
Still a mystery

5. Incorrect PCI IRQ routing
Fix: Mostly get a board with a correct BIOS. There are a couple of
cases people are looking at - some are fixed in 2.4.4 and -ac
where magic IRQ lines are not visible directly in PCI space