    SubjectLinux 2.4.5-ac4

    ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/alan/2.4/

    Intermediate diffs are available from
    http://www.bzimage.org

    In terms of going through the code audit almost all the sound drivers still
    need fixing to lock against format changes during a read/write. Poll creating
    and starting a buffer as write does and also mmap during write, write during
    an mmap.

    2.4.5-ac4
    o APIC parsing updates (Ingo Molnar)
    o Retry rather than losing I/O on an IDE DMA (Jens Axboe)
    timeout.
    o Add missing locking to cs46xx (Frank Davis)
    o Clean up sym53c416 and add PnP support (me)
    o Tidy up changelog in apm.c (Stephen Rothwell)
    o Update jffs2, remove abuse of kdev_t (David Woodhouse)
    o Fix oops on unplugging bluetooth (Greg Kroah-Hartmann)
    o Move stuff into bss on aironet4500 (Rasmus Andersen)
    o Fix up alpha oops output (George France)
    o Update SysKonnect PCI id list (Mirko Lindner)
    o Update SysKonnect GigE driver (Mirko Lindner)
    o Add ATM DS3/OC12 definitions to atmdev.h (Mitchell Blank)
    o Clean up atm drivers, fixed up user space (Mitchell Blank,
    access with irqs off, kmalloc and use after John Levon)
    free.
    o Update input device/joystick/gameport drivers (Vojtech Pavlik)
    o Update USB hid drivers (Vojtech Pavlik)
    o Fix out of memory oops in hysdn (Rasmus Andersen)
    o Belarussian should be Belarusian according to (Nerijus Baliunas)
    the standards
    o Support booting off old 720K floppies (Niels Jensen,
    Chris Noe)

    2.4.5-ac3
    o Ignore console writes from an IRQ handler (me)
    o Make SIGBUS/SIGILL visible to UML debugger (Jeff Dike)
    o Clean up UML syscalls add missing items (Jeff Dike)
    o Clean up non portable UML code (Jeff Dike)
    o Fix off by one and other oddments in hostfs (Henrik Nordstrom)
    o Update UML to use CONFIG_SMP not __SMP__ (Jeff Dike)
    o Fix UML crash if console is typed at too early (Jeff Dike)
    o Clean up UML host transports (Lennert Buytenhek,
    Jim Leu)
    o Resynchronize UML/ppc (Chris Emerson)
    o Fix UML crash if it had an address space hole (Jeff Dike)
    between text and data
    o Fix rd_ioctl crash with initrd (Go Taniguchi)
    o Fix IRQ ack path on Alpha rawhide (Richard Henderson)
    o Drop back to older 8139too driver from 2.4.3
    | Seems the new one causes lockups
    o Experimental promise fastrak raid driver (Arjan van de Ven)

    2.4.5-ac2
    o Restore lock_kernel on umount (Al Viro)
    | Should cure Reiserfs crash in 2.4.5
    o Fix additional scsi_ioctl leak (John Martin)
    o Clean up scsi_ioctl error handling (me)
    o Configure.help typo fixes (Nerijus Baliunas)
    o Fix hgafb problems with logos (Ferenc Bakonyi)
    o Fix lock problems in the rio driver (Rasmus Andersen)
    o Make new cmpci SMP safe (Carlos E Gorges)
    o Fix missing restore flags in soundmodem (Rasmus Andersen)
    o Set max sectors in ps2esdi (Paul Gortmaker)
    o Fix interrupt restore problems in mixcom (Rasmus Andersen)
    o Fix alpha compile on dp264/generic (Andrea Arcangeli)
    o Fix irda irport locking restores (Rasmus Andersen)
    o Fix failed kmalloc handling in hisax (Kai Germaschewski)
    o Add missing memory barrier in qlogicisp (?)
    o Fix missing restore_flags in eata_dma (Rasmus Andersen)
    o Fix procfs locking in irttp (Rasmus Andersen)
    o Winbond updates (Manfred Spraul)
    o Stop network eating PF_MEMALLOC ram (Manfred Spraul)
    o Drop fs/buffer.c low mem flush changes (me)
    o Drop changes to mm/highmem.c (me)
    | I don't think the Linus one is quite right but its easier
    | for everyone to be working off one base
    o Revert GFP_FAIL and some other alloc bits (me)
    o Hopefully fix initrd problem (me)
    o Fix kmalloc check in ide-tape (Rasmus Andersen)
    o Fix irda irtty locking (Rasmus Andersen)
    o Fix missing irq restore in qla1280 (Rasmus Andersen)
    o Fix proc/pid/mem cross exec behaviour (Arjan van de Ven)
    o Fix direct user space derefs in eicon (me)
    | From Stanford checker
    o Fix direct user space derefs in ipddp (me)
    | From Stanford checker
    o Fix direct user space derefs in ixj (me)
    | From Stanford checker
    o Fix direct user space derefs in decnet (me)
    | From Stanford checker

    2.4.5-ac1
    o Merge Linus 2.4.5 tree

    Summary of changes for Linux 2.4.5-ac versus Linus 2.4.5

    o Fix memory leak in wanrouter
    o Fix memory leak in wanmain
    o Use non atomic memory for linearising NFS buffers as they are
    done in task context
    o Fix dereference of freed memory in NetROM drivers
    o Fix writing to freed memory in ax25_ip
    o Support debugging of slab pools
    o NinjaSCSI pcmcia scsi driver
    o Raw HID device for USB peripheral buttons/controllers
    o Updated NTFS
    o RAMfs with resource limits
    o NMI watchdog available on uniprocessor x86
    o Update CMPCI drivers (not yet SMP safe)
    o Configurable max_map_count
    o Dynamic sysctl key registration
    o SE401 USB camera driver
    o Updated Zoran ZR3606x driver (replaces buz)
    o w9966 parallel port camera driver (partially merged with Linus)
    o Include headers in etags
    o Don't delete empty directories on make distclean
    o Fix halt/reboot handling on Alcor Alpha
    o IDE driver support for Etrax E100
    o IDE infrastructure support for IDE using non standard data transfers
    o Run ~/bin/installkernel if present
    o Support for out of order stores on x86 with this mode (IDT Winchip)
    - worth 20% performance on them
    o Configure level debugging menu
    o Make BUG() default to an oops only - saves 70K
    o Power management help for UP-APIC
    o Work around 440BX APIC hang (eg the ne2000 SMP hang)
    o Run time configurable APM behaviour (interrupts, psr etc)
    o Smarter DMI parser - handles multiple use of names
    o DMI layer has blacklist tables fixing Dell Inspiron 5000e crashes,
    PowerEdge reboot problems , and IBM laptop APM problems
    o PNPBios support
    o Fix atomicity of IRQ error count
    o Handle PCI/ISA boxes that don't list edge levels but have an ELCR
    o Don't erroneously mangle settings on all VIA bridges - cures the
    horrible performance problem in 2.4.5 vanilla with VIA
    o Fix bootmem corruption on x86 boot
    o Scan and retrieve multipliers for processors (not yet used to handle
    the SMP cases where we need to disable tsc use)
    o Support machine check on Athlon and Pentium
    o Fix SUS violation with signal stacks
    o Handle boxes where firmware resets the timer to 18Hz (this should
    now not show false positives)
    o Better OOPS formatting on x86
    o Fix nasty problems with interrupts being disabled for long periods
    in frame buffer drivers
    o PAE mode alignment assumption fixes
    o 32bit UID clean quota
    o Fix quota deadlocks
    o Fix TLB shootdown races
    o Experimental merge of usermode Linux
    o Fix memory leaks and othe rproblems with the iphase driver
    o IBM AS/400 iSeries virtual drivers
    o DAC960 null pointer checks
    o CCISS driver leak fixes
    o MPT fusion drivers for scsi and networking
    o Handle out of memory allocating request queue entries and avoid oops
    o Free the initial ramdisk correctly
    o Small CD-ROM layer updates
    o AGP power management hooks
    o First basic applicom driver fixes
    o Fix copy_from_user with interrupts off in cyclades driver
    o Fix out of memory handling in DRM
    o Clean up dsp56K driver
    o Update generic serial driver with break support
    o Clean up h8 driver namespace
    o Fix keymap changing problems in console drivers
    o Fix locking in machzwd
    o Updated rio serial driver
    o A2232 driver
    o Fix serial driver mangling of some clone uarts
    o Handle xircom serial port setup delay bug
    o Updated sx driver for newer generic_serial
    o W83877F watchdog driver
    o ITE8172 IDE driver support
    o Q40/Q60 IDE support
    o Fix nodma handling bug in alim15x3
    o hpt366 DMA blacklist
    o IDE-CD updates
    o Updated IDE DMA blacklist
    o OOPS catch for sg reuse in IDE driver
    o Support formatting of IDE floppies
    o Support PIIX4U4 (851EM)
    o Enable second port on promise pseudo raid
    o Support nodma on pmac
    o Support more PCI irq sharing on IDE
    o IDE tape updates - DI-50 support,
    o Much updated VIA IDE support
    o video1394 updated to newer module API
    o Support write on the input event driver
    o Quieten mouse and keyboard input drivers
    o Fix compile problem with pc110pad
    o Fix memory leak in isdnppp
    o LVM updates
    o Fix plan b locking
    o Fix saa5249 locking
    o Fix stradis locking
    o Acenic driver updates
    o aironet4500 cleanups, probe tables
    o Ariadne updated to newer API
    o Don't limit mtu to 68+ in arlan drivers
    o Updated eepro100 driver
    o Fix potential crash on downing a bpqether port
    o Updated nsc-ircc driver
    o Updated toshoboe driver
    o Intel Panther LP486e ethernet driver
    o Remove erroneous check in eth_change_mtu
    o Alternative xircom_cb driver
    o Avoid ibm tr being rebuilt each make
    o Updated ibm token ring drivers
    o Add 'static' to bits of ppp code
    o Add pci probe table to roadrunner
    o Fix memory leak in sk_ge
    o sk_g16 updates
    o sk_mca updates
    o Add tools to generate starfire firmware
    o Synclink driver can be compiled in
    o Fix possible oops in lapbether
    o Fix memory leak in lanmedia driver
    o Fix SDLA_X25 warnings
    o Fix syncppp negotiation loop bug
    o GSC parallel port support
    o PCMCIA parallel port support
    o Support PnPBIOS probing for PC parallel ports
    o Fix leak in PCMCIA bulkmem driver
    o Fix leak in PCMCIA ds driver
    o Add more cards to the ti list for the yenta pcmcia
    o Updated 3ware scsi driver
    o NCR 53c700 and 53c700/66 driver core
    o Fix pci_enable/resource read order on buslogic
    o Updated NCR53c8xx driver
    o Updated SYM53c8xx driver
    o Fix NCR53c406 warnings
    o NCR dual MCA driver
    o AIC7xxx pci probe table for hotplug
    o Updated aic7xxx_old
    o Fix resource leaks in dec esp driver
    o Fix printk levels in dmx3191 driver
    o Allow per device max sector counts. (2.4 workaround until 2.5 does
    this in the block layer per device)
    o Support SCSI2/SCSI3 extended LUN numbering
    o Limit qlogicisp and qlogicpti to 64 sectors/write
    o Fix missing EFAULT return in scsi proc
    o Fix locking of scsi_unregister_host
    o Fix leaks in scsi_ioctl
    o Fix potential lost requests in scsi merges
    o Fix leak on write when scsi driver has no proc write op
    o Extend the scsi black/whitelist
    o Fix locking/eject/rescan on removable scsi disk media
    o Updated scsi generic driver
    o Updated scsi cdrom driver
    o Correct ac97 handling on sparc
    o Fix use after kfree in cs4281
    o Update ess solo to new PCI style and PM
    o Update maestro to new PCI style and PM
    o Add docking station support to maestro
    o Update sonicvies to new PCI api
    o Fix trident locking problems
    o Fix buzzing on ymfpci
    o Power management for ymfpci
    o Fix leak/missized copy on xjack driver
    o CDCEther driver
    o ACM driver with fixed CLOCAL
    o Updated USB audio drivers
    o Fix locking/reporting in USB device list
    o Allow dsbr100 to take a radio_nr option
    o HP5300 series USB scanner driver
    o Updated IBM cam driver
    o Fix USB inode locking
    o Driver for Kawasaki based USB ethernet
    o Small ov511 fixes
    o Updated USB storage drivers
    o Entries for Sony MSC-U01N memory stick, Fujifilm FinePix 1400Zoom,
    Casio QV Digial Camera
    o USB Ultracam driver
    o Fix derefence of freed memory in the USB code
    o Generic USB host->host drivers for anchorchip 2270, ipaq, netchip
    1080, and Prolific PL-2301/2
    o Updated ATI frame buffer drivers
    o Updated clgen and control frame buffer drivers
    o Updated cyber2000 driver
    o Documentation for fbcon driver
    o Additional modes for titanium powerbook (1152x768)
    o Updated matrxofb drivers
    o Support __setup in mdacon
    o Radeon console driver
    o Handle out of memory on sun3 fb
    o Updated tga/vesa fb
    o CMS file system (basic R/O)
    o JFFS journalling flash file system with compression
    o Updated AFFS file system
    o Threaded core dumps
    o Fix security holes in binfmt_misc
    o Allow flushing of low buffers only when we need bounce buffers
    o Use brelse in cramfs
    o Fix memory leaks in freevxfs
    o Updated isofs
    o Small lockd updates (experimental)
    o Fix nfs alignment funnies
    o Report correct SuS errors on some opens
    o Add generic_file_open to get 64bit stuff right
    o Locking on make_inode_number for procfs
    o Report shmem size in shared memory proc field
    o Fail lseek outside of allowed range for filesystem
    o Fix select race with fdset growth
    o Kernel message levels and handle oom on superblock/mount ops
    o Updated frame buffer logos
    o Prefetch support for AMD Athlon
    o Support out of order stores in spinlocks on x86
    o m68k bitop compile fixes
    o Add truncatepage op to address operations
    o shmem filesystem cleanups and updates
    o Fix off by one on real time pre-emption in scheduler
    o Use prefetches in scheduler and wakeups
    o Support GFP_FAIL to avoid highmem deadlocks

    ---
    Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>
    Red Hat Kernel Hacker
    & Linux 2.2 Maintainer Brainbench MVP for TCP/IP
    http://www.linux.org.uk/diary http://www.brainbench.com

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:17    [W:0.040 / U:88.308 seconds]