    SubjectRe: 2.4.5aa1

    Andrea Arcangeli writes:
    > 00_eepro100-64bit-1
    >
    > Fixes a 64bit bug that was generating false positives and memory
    > corruption.
    >
    > (recommended)

    Good spotting, I've put this into my tree ;-)

    > 00_eepro100-alpha-1
    >
    > Possibly fix the eepro100 transmitter hang on alpha by doing atomic PIO
    > updates to avoid the clear_suspend to be lost.
    >
    > (recommended)

    The correct fix is to create {set,clear,change}_bit{8,16,32}()
    routines architectures may implement. The comment there in eepro100.c
    indicates the those defines are simply wrong for anything other than
    x86, not just Alpha.

    > 00_ipv6-null-oops-1
    >
    > Fixes null pointer oops.
    >
    > (recommended)

    Please delete this, a proper fix is in 2.4.5, and in fact your
    added NULL test will never pass now :-)

    > 10_no-virtual-1
    >
    > Avoids wasting tons of memory if highmem is not selected (like
    > in all the 64bit ports).
    >
    > (nice to have)

    I experimented with computing the address every time on sparc64 and
    the performance actually went down slightly, it turned out it's
    quicker to load from an in-cache page struct member than compute the
    offset each time.

    It's probably not an issue on ix86, but who knows.

    I have no strong opinions about the other patches ;-)

    Later,
    David S. Miller
    davem@redhat.com

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:54    [W:0.022 / U:4.720 seconds]