    SubjectRe: Dying disk and filesystem choice.
    Chris Mason wrote:
    > On Thursday, May 24, 2001 11:16:58 PM +0100 Alan Cox
    > <> wrote:
    > >> IMHO we are not that deep into code freeze anymore. Freevxfs got added
    > >> in linux-2.4.5-pre*, so I think that a patch that adds a useful feature
    > >> like badblock support would be OK.
    > >
    > > FreeVxFS changes precisely nothing in the behaviour of any other fs - its
    > > like adding a new driver.
    > >
    > > Updating Reiserfs requires a lot more care because it has the potential to
    > > harm existing stable setups
    > This has been mostly covered, but just in case. There are two different
    > freezes, the kernel, and in reiserfs. The reiserfs part isn't something
    > Alan or Linus have imposed on us, we just wanted to limit the reiserfs
    > changes as much as possible during the early kernel releases.
    > The end result is that some larger scale issues are unfixed (memory
    > pressure from VM, lost files after a crash), but we have been able to focus
    > on the critical hoses-my-files/crashes-my-box kinds of bugs.
    > -chris
    No, our policy is strictly in sync with and reflective of that of the rest of
    the linux-kernel. Since the ac series has a different policy, we can be
    different in regards to the ac series.

    And I don't begin to comprehend your not sending in the lost disk space after
    crash bug fix (I assume it is what you mean when you refer to lost files after a
    crash, because I know of no lost files after a crash bug, please phrase things
    more carefully), and it really annoys me and the users, frankly. Why you
    consider that a feature is beyond me.

    monstr, could you fix it please and send the fix in? We can't wait for Chris to
    send it in any longer.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:53    [W:0.023 / U:1.172 seconds]