    SubjectRe: Fwd: Copyright infringement in linux/drivers/usb/serial/keyspan*fw.h
    > which is why I asked for RMS' opinion. He said that what is being done
    > is clearly not "mere aggregation", and that such firmware should be
    > moved out of the kernel (and even the tarball) to stop violating the
    > GPL and make Linux be free software.

    Given that the firmware is a seperate work (try loading it under windows
    and you'll find its quite useful without Linux and does not depend on Linux)
    and that the folks I have raised this with - who should know their law -
    disagree with Adam I'm not currently persuaded.

    The relationship between a USB driver and the kernel is no different to that
    between say a web browser and server chatting over a network. In this case
    the network is USB not IP based that is all. Clearly mozilla does not cease
    to be free software or a seperate work because you looked at
    with it.

    Now if you want a plausible example of the kind of thing Adam is talking about
    you should take a hard look at the ACPI code, where ACPI bytecode is linked
    into the kernel by interpreting it

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:53    [W:0.020 / U:5.200 seconds]