    SubjectRe: [CHECKER] large stack variables (>=1K) in 2.4.4 and 2.4.4-ac8
    > check_nmi_watchdog() is __init and we know exactly when it's called.
    > The interesting cases (SMP kernel, since for UP NR_CPUS==1) are:

    Ah, nice --- I keep meaning to tell the checker to demote its warning
    about NULL bugs or large stack vars in __init routines and/or routines
    that have the substring "init" in them ;-)

    > IMHO the checker tool should take call paths into consideration
    > when trying to detect stack overflow problems. Does it do that?
    > (I.e. is it polyvariant or monovariant?)

    The var checker is more "really stupid". It just does a flow
    insensitive pass looking for big variables. I could make it follow
    call chains without too much work (other checkers do do this.)

    > I could write a patch to make 'tmp' __initdata instead, which would
    > silence the checker tool, but I don't really want to do that unless
    > someone can convince me that there is a real problem here.

    No need. Once it's marked as an FP the checker won't warn about it

    Thanks for post-mortem.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:53    [W:0.020 / U:102.368 seconds]