    SubjectRe: Busy on BLKFLSBUF w/initrd
    Problem seems to be solved. Here is what I did, for anyone who is interested
    in using a loopback file on a local disk as root:

    - create a romfs initrd with /linuxrc -> /bin/sh and an empty /initrd dir

    - boot, with root=/dev/rd/1 init=/bin/sh

    - when /linuxrc comes up, cat /dev/rd/0 > /dev/rd/1

    - CTRL-D, exit, etc. to invoke change_root -> /dev/rd/1

    - umount /initrd/dev and /initrd

    - load modules needed for boot.. ext2, ide, loopback, crypto, and sticky
    order-dependent things (in my case, uhci MUST precede eepro100)

    - mount -n -t tmpfs none /tmp

    - copy needed things to /tmp like /bin, /sbin, /lib (not modules, unless
    memory isn't a problem)

    - mount -n -t devfs none /tmp/dev

    - cd /tmp ; pivot_root . old_root ; chroot bin/sh ...

    - now we are chrooted into bin/sh on a tmpfs root

    - umount old_root/dev ; umount old_root

    - mount real filesystem - mount host on /mnt, loopback on /real_root

    - finally chroot into real_root/sbin/init

    - once system is running, clear out unneeded files in tmpfs, unmount the
    devfs - memory usage goes to almost nothing (tmpfs is still needed since
    the host for the loopback lives there)

    - blockdev --flushbufs /dev/rd/*

    (note, I have glossed over some details. /proc is needed in several steps,
    and must be unmounted and remounted and so on..)

    After running for a while and filling up memory, buffers has gone down far
    below the size of the ramdisk, and trying to mount /dev/rd/0 and /dev/rd/1
    shows that they are no longer valid filesystems.

    This method depends on the change_root() mechanism which I had assumed is
    becoming obsolete. It works, and there is no need to mess with
    /proc/sys/kernel/real_root_dev if the root is specified on the command line.
    Trying to use only pivot_root did not work as /dev/rd/0 could never be
    flushed (see previous messages in this thread).

    Thanks very much to everyone who helped!

    Maciek

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:53    [W:0.026 / U:0.804 seconds]