    SubjectRe: Getting FS access events
    Hi,

    On Sat, May 19, 2001 at 12:47:15PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > On Sat, 19 May 2001, Pavel Machek wrote:
    > >
    > > > Don't get _too_ hung up about the power-management kind of "invisible
    > > > suspend/resume" sequence where you resume the whole kernel state.
    > >
    > > Ugh. Now I'm confused. How do you do usefull resume from disk when you
    > > don't restore complete state? Do you propose something like "write
    > > only pagecache to disk"?

    > It's not really a "resume" event, it's a "populate caches really
    > efficiently at boot" event.

    Then you'd better be sure that the cache (or at least, the saved
    image) only contains data which is guaranteed not to be written
    between successive restores from the same image. The big advantage of
    just resuming from the state of the previous shutdown (whether it's
    cache or the whole kernenl state) is that you've got a much higher
    expectation that nothing on disk got modified between the save and the
    restore.

    --Stephen

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:17    [W:0.020 / U:6.884 seconds]