    SubjectRe: O_TRUNC problem on a full filesystem
    Manas Garg wrote:

    > I am not sure if it should be classified as a bug, that's why I am calling it a
    > problem. Here is the description:

    It works fine with ext3 :)

    That's because ext3 has per-file block preallocation
    disabled.

    When you truncated your file, the blocks remained preallocated
    on behalf of the file, and were hence considered "used". For
    some reason, a subsequent attempt to allocate blocks for the
    same file failed to use that file's preallocated blocks.

    It's an arguable bug in ext2 and, as you've seen, the consequences
    are bad. Your applications _are_ a little bit buggy,
    because they can't assume that just because they
    truncated the file, that space will remain available to
    them.

    Maybe someone would like to wade through screenfuls of icky
    single-char identifiers and fix it?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:53    [W:0.030 / U:61.824 seconds]