    SubjectRe: [Patch] Output of L1,L2 and L3 cache sizes to /proc/cpuinfo
    Martin Knoblauch wrote:

    > > If so, then that's their problem. We're not here to solve the problem of
    > > stupid system administrators.
    > >

    > They may not be stupid, just mislead :-( When Intel created the "cpuid"
    > Feature some way along the P3 line, they gave a stupid reason for it and
    > created a big public uproar. As silly as I think that was (on both
    > sides), the term "cpuid" is tainted. Some people just fear it like hell.
    > Anyway.

    Ummm... CPUID has been around since the P5, and even if you have one with
    the serial-number feature, Linux disables it.

    > > > - you would need a utility with root permission to analyze the cpuid
    > > > info. The
    > > > cahce info does not seem to be there in clear ascii.
    > >
    > > Bullsh*t. /dev/cpu/%d/cpuid is supposed to be mode 444 (world readable.)
    > >

    > Thanks you :-) In any case, on my system (Suse 7.1) the files are mode
    > 400.

    It's pointless since you can execute CPUID directly in user space. The
    device is there just to support CPU selection in a multiprocessor system.

    -hpa

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:53    [W:0.025 / U:152.060 seconds]