    SubjectRe: [Patch] Output of L1,L2 and L3 cache sizes to /proc/cpuinfo
    "Martin.Knoblauch" wrote:

    > After some checking, I could have made the answer a bit less terse:
    >
    > - it would require that the kernel is compiled with cpuid [module]
    > support
    > - not everybody may want enable this, just for getting one or two
    > harmless numbers.

    If so, then that's their problem. We're not here to solve the problem of
    stupid system administrators.

    > - you would need a utility with root permission to analyze the cpuid
    > info. The
    > cahce info does not seem to be there in clear ascii.

    Bullsh*t. /dev/cpu/%d/cpuid is supposed to be mode 444 (world readable.)

    > - this limits my script to root users, or you need the setuid-bit on
    > the
    > utility. Not really good for security.

    See above.

    > - the cpuid stuff is i386 specific [today]. So are my changes. But
    > implementing
    > them for other architectures [if there is interest in the info] would
    > not
    > require to also implement the cpuid on other architectures. Which may
    > not make any
    > sense at all.
    >
    > So, having the numbers in clear text in the cpuinfo file looks simpler
    > and safer to me, although reading /dev/cpu/*/cpuinfo maybe more
    > versatile [on i386] - at some cost.
    >
    > Question: are there any utilities or other uses for the cpuid device
    > today? Just interested. The kernel seems to work well without it.

    That is usually the case with devices -- the kernel doesn't care, why
    would it?

    -hpa

    http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/puzzle.txt