    SubjectRe: Background to the argument about CML2 design philosophy <>:
    > Speaking from the perspective of a user of the CML tools, rather
    > than as a developer, all I've been trying to say is this: When I
    > type "make menuconfig" or "make oldconfig" in the future, I want to
    > see the same interface and the same results that I've always seen,
    > because it's always worked for me in the past.

    Visual details will differ, but I've been careful about maintaining
    functional compatibility. There was a phase of the development during
    which I was mostly processing feature requests from people who wanted
    features of the old system that I had not properly understood (such as
    the NEW tag). That phase ended almost a month ago. Nobody who has
    actually tried the CML2 tools more recently has reported that the UI
    changes present any difficulty.

    CML2 drops its configuration results in the same place, in the same
    formats, as CML1. So you should in fact be able to type `make menuconfig'
    and `make oldconfig' with good results. Have you actually tried this?

    The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered as
    the palladium of the liberties of a republic; since it offers a strong moral
    check against usurpation and arbitrary power of rulers; and will generally,
    even if these are successful in the first instance, enable the people to resist
    and triumph over them."
    -- Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story of the John Marshall Court

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:53    [W:0.021 / U:11.880 seconds]