    SubjectRe: Linux 2.4.4-ac10
    On Fri, May 18, 2001 at 11:12:32PM -0300, Rik van Riel wrote:
    > Basic rule for VM: once you start swapping, you cannot
    > win; All you can do is make sure no situation loses
    > really badly and most situations perform reasonably.

    Do you mean paging in general or thrashing?

    I always thought: paging good, thrashing bad.

    A good effecient paging system, always moving data between memory and disk,
    is great. It's when you have the greater than physical memory working set
    that things go to hell in a hand basket.

    Did Linux ever do the old trick of "We've too much going on! You!
    (randomly points to a process) take a seat! You're not running for a
    while!" and the process gets totatlly swapped out for a "while," not even
    scheduled?

    mrc
    --
    Mike Castle Life is like a clock: You can work constantly
    dalgoda@ix.netcom.com and be right all the time, or not work at all