SubjectRe: Linux 2.4.4-ac10
On Fri, May 18, 2001 at 11:12:32PM -0300, Rik van Riel wrote:
> Basic rule for VM: once you start swapping, you cannot
> win; All you can do is make sure no situation loses
> really badly and most situations perform reasonably.

Do you mean paging in general or thrashing?

I always thought: paging good, thrashing bad.

A good effecient paging system, always moving data between memory and disk,
is great. It's when you have the greater than physical memory working set
that things go to hell in a hand basket.

Did Linux ever do the old trick of "We've too much going on! You!
(randomly points to a process) take a seat! You're not running for a
while!" and the process gets totatlly swapped out for a "while," not even

Mike Castle Life is like a clock: You can work constantly and be right all the time, or not work at all and be right at least twice a day. -- mrc
We are all of us living in the shadow of Manhattan. -- Watchmen