    SubjectRe: LANANA: To Pending Device Number Registrants
    Linus Torvalds writes:

    > On Wed, 16 May 2001, Richard Gooch wrote:
    > > >
    > > > This is still a really bad idea. You don't want to tie this kind of
    > > > things to the name.
    > >
    > > Why do you think it's a bad idea?
    >
    > Well, one reason names are bad is that they don't always exist.
    >
    > If you only have the fd (remember that unix notion of using <stdin>
    > and <stdout>), you'd have no clue where the thing came from. So
    > something else than the name is certainly a good idea for some of
    > these issues.

    But, as I described in my original message, you use /proc/self/fd to
    find where the fd came from. Or are you saying that you can't rely on
    having /proc available?

    Or do you have other reasons not to like the scheme I described? One
    of the reasons I like it is because it requires no new kernel code.

    > That said, I still think the real problem is rampant use of ioctl's,
    > which are a bad idea in the first place. Magic numbers are always
    > bad, and are a sign of bad design.

    No argument from me.

    Regards,

    Richard....
    Permanent: rgooch@atnf.csiro.au
    Current: rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:53    [W:0.040 / U:63.192 seconds]