SubjectRe: LANANA: To Pending Device Number Registrants
>This is the problem with all sorts of ID-based naming.  In this case
>the kernel could simply change the conflicting names a bit,
>and leave the cleanup to the administrator. (Who probably
>is around as he just inserted those disks....)

The kernel, when asked to report on the disks physically attached to the
machine, should report the location and *volume* name.

It should never just mount things when there is a conflict. Make the user
resolve the conflict immediately by being more specific.

Partition names are sacrosanct. They should always work within the relative

If I have a disk with /, /usr and /var, I want mentions of ../var to work
correctly in scripts in usr, assuming I have usr and var mounted into /.