    SubjectRe: LANANA: To Pending Device Number Registrants
    James Simmons wrote:
    > > Personally, I'd really like to see /dev/ttyS0 be the first detected serial
    > > port on a system, /dev/ttyS1 the second, etc. Currently there are plenty of
    > > different serial hardware with all their own drivers and /dev entries. For
    > > embedded systems with serial consoles, and also across architectures, this
    > > is a pain since the filesystem and namely /dev/inittab has to be adjusted
    > > for all different types of UARTs. This is not the case for every different
    > > type of NICs and that's a good thing.
    > I couldn't agree with you more. It gives me headaches at work. One note,
    > their is a except to the eth0 thing. USB to USB networking. It uses usb0,
    > etc. I personally which they use eth0.

    "ethX" is only used for Ethernet. Other types of network devices use
    other names.

    Personally, I would also like to see network devices manifest in the
    filesystem namespace like everything else.

    <> at work, <> in private!

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:53    [W:0.023 / U:17.472 seconds]