SubjectRe: Getting FS access events

On Tue, 15 May 2001, Richard Gooch wrote:

> However, what about simply invalidating an entry in the buffer cache
> when you do a write from the page cache?

And how do you do the invalidate the other way, pray tell?

What happens if you create a buffer cache entry? Does that invalidate the
page cache one? Or do you just allow invalidates one way, and not the
other? And why=

> Actually, I'd kind of like it if the page cache steals from the buffer
> cache on read. The buffer cache is mostly populated by fsck. Once I've
> done the fsck, those buffers are useless to me. They might be useful
> again if they are steal-able by the page cache.

Ehh.. And then you'll be unhappy _again_, when we early in 2.5.x start
using the page cache for block device accesses. Which we _have_ to do if
we want to be able to mmap block devices. Which we _do_ want to do (hint:
DVD's etc).

Face it. What you ask for is stupid and fundamentally unworkable.

Tell me WHY you are completely ignoring my arguments, when I (a) tell you
why your way is bad and stupid (and when you ignore the arguments, don't
complain when I call you stupid) and (b) I give you alternate ways to do
the same thing, except my suggestion is _faster_ and has none of the
downside yours has.

WHY?

Linus

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:53    [W:0.171 / U:0.216 seconds]