    SubjectRe: LANANA: To Pending Device Number Registrants
    Jonathan Lundell wrote:

    > I *like* eth0..n (I'd like net0..n better). And I *can't* ask what
    > eth0 and eth1 are, by the way, but I should be able to (Jeff Garzik
    > has proposed an extension to ethtool to help out this lack, but it's
    > not in Linux today, and needs concrete implementation anyway).
    >
    > But that's not my point. I'm *not* proposing that we exchange eth0
    > for geographic names. I'm suggesting, though, that the location of
    > the device is *not* meaningless, because it's the physically-located
    > RJ45 socket (or whatever) that I have to connect a particular cable
    > to. Sure, no big deal for systems with a single connection, but it
    > becomes a real pain when you've got a dozen, which is a reasonable
    > number for some network-infrastructure functions (eg firewalls).
    >
    > When I ifconfig one of a collection of interfaces, I'm very much
    > talking about the specific physical interface connected via a
    > specific physical cable to a specific physical switch port.

    Yes, it can be a security trap as well - physically move a card and
    your firewall rules end up being applied to the wrong connection.

    The 2.4 kernel allows you to rename an interface. So you can build
    a little database of (MAC address/name) pairs. Apply this after booting
    and before bringing up the interfaces and everything has the name
    you wanted, based on MAC address.

    Andi Kleen has an app which does this:

    ftp://ftp.firstfloor.org/pub/ak/smallsrc/nameif.c

    but apparently some additional kernel work is needed to make
    this work 100% correctly. I do not know what the specific
    problem is.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:53    [W:4.045 / U:0.044 seconds]