    SubjectRe: LANANA: To Pending Device Number Registrants
    According to Alan Cox:
    > Given a file handle 'X' how do I find out what ioctl groups I should
    > apply to it.

    Wouldn't it be better just to *try* ioctls and see which ones work and
    which ones don't?

    This ioctl situation reminds me of how novice programmers assume that
    they have to call access() or stat() and check a file for existence
    and readability before calling open(). But that's just stupid when
    you think about it, because if the file isn't there and the open()
    fails, that's OK! Failures are not fatal.

    Similarly, ioctl failures are not fatal. Just Try Them.
    Chip Salzenberg - a.k.a. - <>
    "We have no fuel on board, plus or minus 8 kilograms." -- NEAR tech

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:53    [W:0.019 / U:12.612 seconds]