    SubjectRe: LANANA: To Pending Device Number Registrants

    On Mon, 14 May 2001, Jeff Garzik wrote:

    > Note also that persistence of permissions and hardcoded in-kernel naming
    > is a problem throughout proc... It's not unique to in-driver
    > filesystems.

    Also note how a 32-bit (or 64-bit) dev_t does NOT make it any easier to
    manage permissions or anything like that anyway. Look at the current mess
    /dev is. Imagine it an order of magnitude worse.

    Big device numbers are _not_ a solution. I will accept a 32-bit one, but
    no more, and I will _not_ accept a "manage by hand" approach any more. The
    time has long since come to say "No". Which I've done. If you can't make
    it manage the thing automatically with a script, you won't get a hardcoded
    major device number just because you're lazy.

    End of discussion.

    Linus

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:53    [W:0.023 / U:4.740 seconds]