    SubjectRe: LANANA: To Pending Device Number Registrants
    > > (c) does not require devfs.  most distros ship without it afaik, and
    > > switching to it is not an overnight process, and requires devfsd to be
    > > useful in the real world.
    > >
    > It does, however, not manage permissions, nor does it provide for a sane
    > namespace (it exposes too many internal implementation details in the
    > interface -- in particular, the driver becomes part of the namespace, and
    > devices move around between drivers regularly.)

    It is also very hard to tar that device file.

    As to devfsd well Al Viro was reporting races in it long ago that I don't
    believe Richard has had time to fix nor has anyone else fixed.

    What is the state on devfs there ?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:53    [W:0.020 / U:32.360 seconds]