    SubjectRe: PATCH: Enable IP PNP for 2.4.4-ac8
    On Sun, May 13, 2001 at 07:24:31PM -0600, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
    > I agree it isn't intuitive, and if nfsroot=xxx is specified it should
    > probably turn on if there is missing information.
    > But if you have to select the command line anyway....
    > Mostly I like the situation where I can compile it in and turn it on
    > when I need it, instead of having to do thing differently if it is
    > compiled in or not.

    In fact, I like the idea. But passing nfsroot=xxx to kernel doesn't
    imply "ip=on" is very annoying. My setup worked fine with 2.4.4. It
    took me a while to figure out why it didn't work with 2.4.4-ac8.

    > > Have you tried
    > > ramdisk on diskless alpha, arm, m68k, mips, ppc, sh, sparc, booting
    > > over network?
    > First the booting situation on linux with respect to multiple platform
    > sucks. We pass parameters in weird ways on every platform. The command
    > line is the only thing that stays mostly the same. I'm looking at what
    > it takes to clean that up, so we can have multiplatform bootloaders.

    I don't think we have total control over how to boot over network on
    all platforms. On some platforms, you may only load kernel over the
    network and run from it.

    > I have implemented what it takes to attach a ramdisk, and if you can
    > boot an arbitrary kernel it isn't hard to have a program that attaches
    > a ramdisk.
    > Now although I believe this is the right direction to go, you will
    > notice I ported the dhcp IP auto configuration from 2.2.19 to to 2.4.x
    > Buying a little more time to get this working.

    Thanks. I appreciate it.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:52    [W:0.021 / U:32.456 seconds]